Waukesha & Milwaukee Wisconsin, Criminal Law Attorneys
Do’s and Don’ts If You Are Stopped By Law Enforcement
If you are pulled over or stopped by a police or law enforcement office, how you respond can have a significant impact on the outcome. Here are some important things to remember in this situation.
- DO provide your name, date of birth, and social security number, if asked.
- DO remain calm and be polite.
- DO tell the officer you wish to speak with an attorney before providing any further information.
- DO NOT provide any additional information or answer additional questions without first consulting an attorney.
- DO NOT make any admissions, either written or verbal, without first consulting an attorney.
- DO NOT sign any documents without first consulting an attorney.
- DO NOT be fooled by the officer’s demeanor or tone; the officer is not looking out for your best interests and he or she is not your friend.
- DO NOT be rude or belligerent.
If you have been stopped by a law enforcement official, you need experienced legal representation. Contact D’Angelo & Jones, LLP to schedule a free initial consultation.