Waukesha, Wisconsin Family Law Lawyer
Dos and Don’ts In Family Law
If you are involved in a family conflict, you need experienced legal counsel to protect your rights. Contact D’Angelo & Jones, LLP to schedule a free initial consultation.
In a family law conflict, there are specific things you need to know:
- DO be aware that there are three legal actions to dissolve a marriage: divorce, legal separation and annulment.
- DO be aware that one attorney cannot represent both parties in a family law matter.
- DO NOT alienate your children from the other parent. DO NOT interfere with your spouse’s relationship with your children.
- DO NOT discuss any aspect of your divorce, including the court proceedings and your spouse, with or in front of your children. DO NOT allow anyone else to discuss the divorce, including the court proceedings and your spouse, with or in front of your children.
- DO be aware that a legal action to end a marriage can be commenced in Wisconsin in the county of residence of either party after 30 days of residence in that county and 6 months of residence in this state.
- DO maintain copies of all personal records and financial documents relating to property, income and debt.
- DO be aware that, except in rare circumstances, parties cannot be divorced until 120 days have lapsed between service of the initial papers and the final divorce hearing.
- DO be aware that if you are unhappy with the final court order, it can be modified by the court in certain circumstances.
If you need divorce counsel in southeastern Wisconsin, Contact D’Angelo & Jones, LLP for a free initial consultation.